Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day Sixty-six



So I made my chai tea today! I modified a recipe I found here. I accidentally used a bit too much milk, which weakened the flavor, but otherwise I thought it was good... I think it was a nice, strong brew. Here's roughly how I did it:

  • 1 tsp cardamom, ground
  • pinch or two of black pepper, ground
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 star anise pods
  • 11 whole cloves
  • 1/8 tsp caraway seeds
  • 2 bay leaves
Place in 4 cups water, bring to a boil, boil for 5 minutes, cut off water and cover the pot, steep for 10 minutes
  • 1 bag darjeeling tea
Add this to the infusion, then bring water back to a boil, then cut off again, cover again and let steep for 10 minutes
  • 4 tablespoons? honey
  • 1 cup? milk
I didn't actually measure this part out... But I think the honey is about right (that part is really to taste). Stir in the honey first, and make sure it's dissolved before adding the milk. I just poured it straight in, and knew it was too much when I saw the color (too light). Maybe I'll actually measure it next time!

I'd say this makes about two mugs or so. Maybe I should have followed the recipe more fully and used the full amount? But there's only two people here, and my boyfriend didn't like it. Personally I thought it was a great pick-me-up - easy to make, quick, and hot and tasty (good for cloudy, gloomy days that threaten rain). I had mine with a light salad.

Food, very reliably I think, has the ability to instantly take the lucky eater to their happy place. To me, food is not just a transitory, sensual pleasure! It's a pleasure for the mind as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment