Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day Fifty-three

I went to go see a lecture today. There's something about the spoken word, and gesturing, inflection, expression, posture, clothing... It really creates an entirely different feeling to learning and interacting, something so much worthwhile, I think, than internet interactions (although this isn't to say that these aren't worthwhile) - it's visceral, and satisfying (even to just watch someone and listen) in a way that I find internet learning to leave me feeling somewhat emptier - perhaps I'm lacking some sort of context to this onslaught of information? Or maybe I just crave feeling a connection?

Voice can be such a powerful and beautiful sound (certainly, a part of beauty has something to do with voice, or speech). Truly wonderful voices are precious and, I think, an absolute pleasure to listen to, especially when giving life to eloquent sentiments. Deliberate without being contrived or forced, powerful, clear, and utterly confident.



I love Charlton Heston's voice, and think he utilizes it to great effect. It was hard just picking one clip... Honestly. Besides this, I also love two Planet of the Apes clips ("get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty apes!" and "It's a madhouse! A madhouse!") and all of Ben-Hur (probably my all time favorite movie). I've also heard him reading a passage from the Jurassic Park novel, and frankly I think it sounds mesmerizing. You could definitely criticize it as being sort of... theatrical, but I think, that's the point, and that's why I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment