Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day Twenty-seven


Originally from here.


I woke up this morning, finally, to birds! The sky itself, out my window, was a very lovely soft blue, with not even a speck of white. I crept up slowly to my window - which had the blinds open but not up, so I could see out but it would be enough to obscure me from the birds - and I saw a Carolina Chickadee eating at the feeder. It was maybe a week ago that I decided to put it back to use, and I've been waiting for the birds to take notice.

Birds, I think, are some of the most beautiful creatures around. Not just for the their looks, or their songs, or even their frailty - the very precarious and precious nature of their bodies and lives - I'd say that they are yet still more beautiful because of the awe they inspire in us and others, and the inspiration they are apt to cause, being so everyday but hardly ordinary.

It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad. C.S. Lewis

Have you ever observed a humming-bird moving about in an aerial dance among the flowers - a living prismatic gem.... it is a creature of such fairy-like loveliness as to mock all description. W.H. Hudson

My favorite weather is bird-chirping weather. Loire Hartwould

Maybe today, I can find more confidence in myself and happiness in the world if I live like a bird.


Originally from here.


A wise old owl sat on an oak; the more he saw the less he spoke; the less he spoke the more he heard; why aren't we like that wise old bird?

No comments:

Post a Comment